The great state of Alaska got its name from the Aleut
word "Alyeska" meaning "great land." The state
capital, Juneau, is located in the southeast region of Alaska. The
state motto is: "North to the Future." The state nickname
is: "The Last Frontier."
Name of Emblem/Symbol
North to the Future
The Last Frontier
commemorates the signing of the treaty by which the United
States bought Alaska from Russian, signed on March 30, 1867.
Alaska Day is the
anniversary of the formal transfer of the territory and the
raising of the US. flag at Sitka on October 18, 1867.
The blue field is for the sky and the
forget-me-not, the state flower. The North Star is for the future of
the state of Alaska. The dipper is for the Great Bear.
Giant King Salmon
Four Spot Skimmer
Complete the questions below.
1. Alaska got its name from the Aleut word ""
meaning "great land."
2. The state capital, located in the southeast region of
Alaska, is .
3. The state motto is "".
4. The state nickname is "".
5. The state flag is blue and contains
6. The state sport is dog .
7. The state flower is the .
8. The state mineral is
9. The state tree is the .
10. The state holiday held on March 27th is .
11. The state holiday held on October 18th is .
12. The state land mammal is the .
13. The state fish is the Giant King .
14. The dipper in the state flag is for the Great
15. Seward's Day commemorates the signing of a treaty
between the United States and
on March 30, 1867.
Elementary & Middle School Lessons & Self-Correcting Tests for Children in all Subject Areas. If you have found an error or would like to make comments on this lesson,
please email us at:
Copyright 1999-2022 by Educational Designers, LLC. All rights reserved. Lessons & Tests in Math, Reading, Spelling, Science, Language, and Social Studies.
traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with
performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate
usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."