1. At first, why did Nichodemus think he and
the other rats had been captured?
He thought they were
going to a laboratory.
thought it was because they were afraid of rats.
He thought it was
because they didn't like the rats stealing their food.
was fastened around Nichodemus' neck?
band of plastic with a number on it
collar and a leash
3. What did Nichodemus realize was going to
change the lives of twenty of the rats?
kindness shown by the biologists.
food they were being fed.
The injections they
4. Nicodemus learns that Dr. Schultz is a
neurologist. What is a neurologist?
pharmacist, or druggist
expert on the characteristics of animals.
An expert on brains,
nerves, intelligence, and how people learn things.
5. What was the terrible prickling feeling that
Nicodemus experienced when his feet touched the floor in the maze?
feeling was caused by sharp needles embedded in the floor.
The feeling was caused
The feeling was cause
by pieces of broken glass.
6. Nicodemus realized he had been running in a
maze. What is a maze?
very large barn
a large jigsaw puzzle
a confusing network of
7. What happened as Nicodemus continued to run
through the maze over and over again?
was released by Dr. Schultz.
He was able to do it
faster and faster.
He finally reached the
other end and escaped.
8. What rat was able to escape from its
9. What interesting thing was happening to the A
and G groups of rats?
not getting any older.
were having more and more babies.
They were eating less,
but growing larger and larger.
10. What were the rats being taught to do in
addition to shape recognition?
being taught how to escape.
were being taught how to read.
They were being taught
how to identify shapes.
11. What did Justin and Nichodemus do to the
other caged mice?
showed them how to open their cages.
showed them the baseboard at the bottom of the wall.
They showed them their
12. What did the rats use to explore the ductwork
and not get lost?
a large spool of
13. Who asks to be released from his cage so he
and others can escape with the rats?
from group C
from group B
a mouse, named
14. Why do the rats not want to return to their
sewer-pipe when they escape?
realize they will not fit in because they can read and write.
realize they will be younger than the other rats.
They want to live in a
15. Why did only Jonathan and the white mouse
continue along with the rats?
six mice had been blown through the air shaft and were lost.
was the strongest of all of the mice.
He was the only one
the rats let out of the cage.
Elementary & Middle School Lessons & Self-Correcting Tests for Children in all Subject Areas. If you have found an error or would like to make comments on this lesson,
please email us at:
Copyright 1999-2020 by Educational Designers, LLC. All rights reserved. Lessons & Tests in Math, Reading, Spelling, Science, Language, and Social Studies.
traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with
performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate
usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."