1. Big Ma tells T. J. that he
is not to sulk. What is the correct definition of sulk?
sullen or glum
be disrespectful to
2. Whose car is in the Logan's barn when they
return from Strawberry?
3. Mama explains to Cassie that black people
gained their freedom after which of the following wars?
and Indian War
4. The reader learns in this chapter that the
Logan children are bought their clothing in shifts. What does
children get hand me down clothing.
children get new clothing for Christmas
Each child must wait
their turn for new clothes.
5. What does Uncle Hammer threaten to burn down?
Jefferson Davis School
6. As Chapter 6 ends Mama says that they will have
to pay for something that Uuncle Hammer has done. What event is
she referring to?
Hammer forced the Wallaces to wait while he crossed Soldiers Bridge.
Hammer sat in front of the Wallaces at church.
Uncle Hammer starts
Jefferson Davis School on fire.
7. To whom did Stacey give his new coat from
8. Cassie says that Stacey received a
tongue-lashing from Uncle Hammer. What does she mean?
scolding or reprimand
a hand shake
9. As Christmas approaches, who is Cassie
anxiously waiting for so she can discuss the incident in Strawberry
her best friend
10. What does Papa promise Cassie they will never
11. Why were the Logan children so excited about
receiving books for Christmas?
belonged to their grandparents.
books were new.
The books were written
by their mother.
12. Jeremy gave Stacey a flute for
Christmas. What did Papa say that Stacey had given to Jeremy?
13. What were the top wages paid to any man,
woman, or child who worked in the Granger fields?
cents a day
five dollars a day
14. The reader learns in Chapter 6 that the black
people are boycotting the Wallace's store. What does the word
them in a time of great need.
help celebrate a good harvest.
To join together to
refuse to deal with or buy from, so as to punish
Elementary & Middle School Lessons & Self-Correcting Tests for Children in all Subject Areas. If you have found an error or would like to make comments on this lesson,
please email us at:
Copyright 1999-2020 by Educational Designers, LLC. All rights reserved. Lessons & Tests in Math, Reading, Spelling, Science, Language, and Social Studies.
traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with
performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate
usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."