1. The reader is introduced to
the Logan children in Chapter 1. They include Stacey,
Christopher-John, Cassie and Little Man. Who is telling the
story Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry?
2. In what state does the Logan family live in?
3. The Logan Family owns land that was once part
of the Granger plantation. What crop do they raise?
4. T.J., Avery and his younger brother Claude are
described by the author as having frail frames. What does the
brothers are strong and healthy looking.
Avery brothers are thin and weak looking.
The Avery brothers
both wear glasses.
5. Why was Little Man angry about the book he
received the first day of school?
angry because the book had no words, only pictures.
was angry because the book was too difficult for him.
He was angry because
the book he received was old and dirty.
6. Cassie was glad that Miss Crocker did not have
a tantrum when she headed into Mama's classroom. Which of the
following best defines the word "tantrum?"
outbreak of anger and rage
outbreak of laughter
7. Cassie is very much aware of the prejudice of
whites against blacks in the South during the Depression? Which
of the following best defines the word "prejudice?"
acceptance of all races as equals
intolerance or hatred of other races
an attempt to control
8. Why did Papa bring Mr. L. T. Morrison home
very sick and needed a place to stay.
He was to protect the
family while Papa was working on the railroad.
He was the new cattle
9. What did the Jefferson Davis school bus driver
like to do the the black children as they walked to school?
liked to splash them with muddy water and watch them slip and slide on
the muddy road.
He picked them up and
brought them to school.
He slowed down and
waved at them.
10. Big Ma refers to white folk as being
ignorant. What does the word "ignorant" mean?
11. What do Cassie and her brothers do in revenge
for the school bus episodes?
refused to go to school.
walked through the woods instead of on the road.
They dug a huge hole
across the road and filled it with water.
12. The Logan children tried not to gloat about
what had happened to the school bus. Which of the following best
defines the word "gloat?"
To feel sad
To think about with
13. The author, Mildred D. Taylor, refers to Big
Ma having a rich alto voice. What is meant by this?
Big Ma has
a very quiet voice.
Ma has a low voice.
Big Ma sings all of
14. What is Cassie frightened by at the end of
of cars that pulled into the Logan's driveway, and then drove off.
stranger with a gun.
A bear outside her
Elementary & Middle School Lessons & Self-Correcting Tests for Children in all Subject Areas. If you have found an error or would like to make comments on this lesson,
please email us at:
Copyright 1999-2019 by Educational Designers, LLC. All rights reserved. Lessons & Tests in Math, Reading, Spelling, Science, Language, and Social Studies.
traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with
performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate
usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."