1. Leigh has trouble getting started writing his
diary. What does Mr. Henshaw suggest he do?
the diary is an assignment for school.
the diary is a book.
Pretend the diary is a
letter to someone.
2. Why doesn't Leigh tell his teacher that food
is being stolen from his lunch?
think it's a good idea for a new boy to be a snitch.
He's afraid the kids
will make fun of him.
3. What did Leigh decide to write on his lunch bag?
his mom's name
4. What does Mr. Fridley suggest Leigh put on his
lunch bag to prevent food from being stolen?
tape to keep it shut
a burglar alarm
5. What did Leigh notice about Mr. Henshaw's new
book, Beggar Bears?
it wasn't funny like his other books.
He noticed it was written in Spanish.
He noticed it was much
shorter than his other books.
6. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw that he doesn't want
to be a nuisance to him. What is the meaning of this word?
annoying or troublesome person
kind and gentle friend
7. How does Leigh describe Mr. Fridley?
a good friend
8. Why does Leigh blame himself for his parent's
He was the
reason his parents argued all of the time.
mom quit riding in the truck with his dad to stay home when he was
He thinks his dad quit
loving both he and his mom.
9. Why does Leigh say he hates his father in the
February 4th letter?
hasn't called him.
dad is not planning on visiting him.
His dad forgot his
10. What does Leigh's dad suggest he do about
food being stolen from his lunch?
tell his mother.
should tell the principal.
He should find the kid
and punch him in the nose.
11. What does Leigh's father tell him about
Bandit when he asks about him?
He was hit
and killed by a car.
He gave him to another
12. Why does Leigh hang up the phone on his
another boy's voice in the background.
started to cry and didn't want his dad to hear him.
He was mad that his
dad had lost Bandit.
Elementary & Middle School Lessons & Self-Correcting Tests for Children in all Subject Areas. If you have found an error or would like to make comments on this lesson,
please email us at:
Copyright 1999-2020 by Educational Designers, LLC. All rights reserved. Lessons & Tests in Math, Reading, Spelling, Science, Language, and Social Studies.
traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with
performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate
usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."