1. Why does mother tell Allashua not to go
fishing in the ocean?
live under the ice and grab children who aren't with their parents.
wants her to help her at home.
It is too late to go
2. Why did Allashua think her mother was wrong?
saw the Qallupilluit on TV.
didn't see any Qallupilluit in the large ocean cracks.
She did not think her
mother was telling the truth.
3. Put the following comment in order as Allashua
said them. Use 1, 2, and 3
"Qallupilluti smell like a dead whale in the
"Qallupilluit, Qallupilluit can't catch me!"
"Qallupilluit have dirty noses."
4. What does the voice from behind Allashua say?
smell like a dead whale in the summer."
have dirty noses."
"The best you may
be, but the smartest you are not."
5. What do Qallupilluit catch?
6. Which of the following is the last line to the
song that the Qallupilluit sing as they drag Allashua down under the sea
hold under the ice.
child, human child
Forget your mother,
forget your brother,
7. What does Allashua promise to bring the
Qallupilluit if they let her go?
brothers and sisters
8. Where did Allashua's father find her?
her with the Qallupilluit.
finds her in an ocean crack.
He finds her almost at
the back door frozen to the snow.
9. Which of the following did Allashua tell her
parents? Click on all that are true.
I went to
the cracks in the sea ice.
called the Qallupilluit nasty names.
I said they were dumb.
I promised to take my
sisters and brothers to the cracks in the sea ice.
10. What did the Qallupilluit begin calling out
when mother and father begged for their children back?
have hearts of ice."
"A promise is a
"Say goodbye to
11. Why did the children question why their
mother was dancing?
not a happy time.
She liked to dance
with her husband.
They were afraid she
might fall in the cracks.
12. Everyone went inside and first mother gave
her children and the Qallupilluit some bread. What did she give them
13. What did the children do when their father,
mother, and the Qallupilluit were dancing?
went to the crack in the sea ice.
They started dancing
They went inside and
14. Why did Allashua say the Qallupilluit could
not take her brothers and sisters?
not want to keep the promise.
When she brought them
to the sea ice the Qallupilluit were not there.
She was mad at them.
15. Why did the whole ocean of ice become
Qallupilluit jumped down to the bottom and took the cracks with them.
All of the ice melted
and became smooth.
It began to rain and
froze the cracks shut.
16. Why was Allashua not happy while fishing with
not want to go fishing.
She was mad at her
She could hear the
Elementary & Middle School Lessons & Self-Correcting Tests for Children in all Subject Areas. If you have found an error or would like to make comments on this lesson,
please email us at:
Copyright 1999-2019 by Educational Designers, LLC. All rights reserved. Lessons & Tests in Math, Reading, Spelling, Science, Language, and Social Studies.
traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with
performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate
usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."